He's a bit of a yob...

So, I am going to tell you a bit about Tom.  There are two guys in the DTS, one is Ben (here with his wife Tara) who is actually from Smithfield, VA near Williamsburg and Tom, who is from London.  At least he claims this, but he seemingly knows so little about his own city! Before I go on, I should say how funny it is talking to him. He has a very different accent to Amy, my roommate from the central part of England who speaks very proper. She says he speaks lazy English!


One of the first conversations I had with Tom, he had on some cool sunglasses so I asked him if that was how Prince Harry went around town; trying to be incognito.  He seemed very puzzled and proceeded to explain that he doesn't really know too much about Prince Harry and doesn't know the difference between him or William.  I couldn't believe that!  Then, one of the girls bought a postcard of a cutout face of Princess Diana.  He told her that would be great to send back home and say she took a close up photo of her.  She said, "Yeah, but she's dead?", he laughed stating that he forgot!  Chatting with him, you are never at a loss for a laugh.

So this brings us to my English lesson with Tom.  Today, a few of us hopped on to the tube and ventured out to Notting Hill Gate with Tom as our guide.  I wanted to go there because it is where I stayed when I was here with my dad and it felt familiar.  We walked around popping in and out of shops and trying not too look too much like tourists.  He made a comment at one point about a passer buyer.  He said "he's a bit of a yob."  A what?  Yob.  Apparently, a yob is a troublemaker.  He then told me that he got made fun of by his friends for using that term because it was something his grandmother would say! 

I decided I like it though.  Tom, has agreed to help me "bring back" the phrase dig it.  We think if we work as a team, we can make it cool.  So, in honor of his word not being cool, I would like to start an initiative to use it.  I guess I am kinda a yob myself!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts