Get into the groove.

We are starting to understand our schedule now.  It seemed like I would need to invest in special software to keep up with it initially, but it is not so hard.  We get up and have breakfast and quiet time.  Then we are off to work duties.  My duty for this month is cleaning our living room and front foyer (yes, Lu and Carol, the foye).  I fluff all the couch pillows, dust, vacuum, and mop.  I also pick up loads of random items people have left behind especially tea mugs!  After all is neat and tidy for the day, we don our coats and scarves (already) and head out for our intercessory pray walk and neighborhood beautification.  That translates to picking up a bit of rubbish as we walk. 

This morning, we were assigned partners and specific streets to tackle.  Angelica and I were doing a lovely job but happened upon a plastic grocery bag that someone had apparently peed in.  That was special!  I enjoy praying with Angelica.  She is from Chile and speaks little English.  She is none-the-less a prayer powerhouse!  Try translating that to Espanol!  We got one side of our street done today and had to get back to the recycle bins to sort our treasures.  Tomorrow, I guess we will tackle the other side.

Once back, we had a time of teaching.  This weeks teachings have been a bit different but I have enjoyed them and am looking forward to tomorrow.  We are learning a bit about the Holy Spirit.  Our teachers are different--some for a week and some for a day depending on the topic (and the schedule of the teacher).  Two have come from South America to be with us.  The lady this week is a proper local!  She is funny.

Our afternoons vary.  One day we have evangelism, one day we do outreach at a soup kitchen, one day we have small group, and one day we have art or salsa.  Tomorrow we have a special evening church service so we will have free time in the afternoon.  That time is usually when we hop on the tube or bus and go exploring (but we should be studying and reading!)  We have assigned readings and have to do a book report before the end of the month.  I can't tell you the last time I actually did a book report!

Anyhow, I am excited about our outreach.  We were late yesterday so we didn't get the full feel for it but I met a lovely Irishmen and had a very interesting chat with him about his travels.  He told us he lives on an allotment, which was explained to me is a garden plot that people in the city can buy to grow things and have a shed.  He was very kind.  We will go every other week so I hope to share more of that experience later.

It's about time to head off to small group so I will wrap this up for now.  I am on for cooking tonight as well.  I wonder what is on the menu.  We did have tacos for lunch...there was potato cooked in with the meat and slaw to put on top.  It was interesting but tasty!  There is a lot of creative cooking here in order to get veggies in, use up what we have (leftover rice or potatoes show up in other places), and feed a brood of hungry folks!  We have had quite a few kidney beans this week, but we have all survived!

Comments

  1. Cheerio my dear! I am doing my best to absorb every detail about your day(s). I love hearing about your schedule, your prayer requests, your opinions, and thoughts. I feel like I can get my 'Erika' fix even with you so far away. I pray for you, your housemates, and your journey daily. Miss you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts