A Week in the Life!

First off, I must apologize for taking so long to update!  Life here in Cowplain runs non-stop.  There have been so many activities, events and outings that I don't know where to start in catching everyone up, but I figured I would share a little of the day to day routine.

MONDAY:  Monday's I am up and at'em early to catch the bus to Havant.  My bus leaves at 8:30 and if I miss it, there isn't another one until 10 so I am always super nervous about that.  I usually end up sitting for 15 minutes waiting for that bus and then starts my 30 minute commute (that would take about 10 by car!).  I enjoy my bus ride.  I sometimes read or listen to music and do a bit of people watching.  I've even made an odd friend or two on the journey!  I arrive in Havant right on time to start the day at the Beacon Furniture Shop.  Allison and I take a few minutes to pray for the day and then commence the opening procedure.  Our shop is a Charity Shop that sells furniture and donates it as well to people who come with referrals from other organizations.  We have a small space that is LOADED to the top with donated items most days.  We take a few items outside in front of the shop and then get to the business of organizing the other pieces around.  Some Monday's we spend almost the whole shift moving furniture!  We have a lot of regular customers and some folks that just pop in for a chat.


TUESDAY: Tuesday mornings I try to lay low for the morning and occasionally run out to do a bit of shopping or get in a little housework.  After lunch I walk down to the Acorn Centre to spend an hour or so doing any admin projects Ann has for me.  I often do emails, make fliers or type up agendas, make phone calls or do research for grants or for our conservation project, Billy's Lake.  After that I have been walking over to Ann's house to cook dinner for our evening small group, Journey's.  I am usually cooking for about 25 people and sometimes do a bit of baking as well.  I enjoy this time.  There have been one or four of Ann's kids around when I am there but they are all back to school, college, and Uni now so this week I had a lovely time of quiet.  Once the food is ready it's back to the Centre to set up for Journey's.

Tuesday night Journey's is a time when locals and church friends come to the center for a small group.  This activity is church sponsored and we share a meal, have a time of worship, and then have a talk or watch a video that we can then talk about.  This evening is open to anyone from the community-some are new believers and some are just learning about what it means to be a Christian.  We have just started a series on the Parables.  I shared the first week about the Prodigals Son and shared some of my testimony.  We have had some really interesting conversations and are seeing amazing changes in many of the folks who attend.

WEDNESDAY:  Wednesday morning I head down to the center to spend a few more hours of admin time.  After lunch we have a Coffee Afternoon.  During this time, locals from the community as well as some church friends come together for coffee or tea and cake and to have a chat.  We have quite an array of people who come out for this time as well as several volunteers who come just to help out. I have really enjoyed getting to know the people who come regularly, they are all so lovely!  I do have to make an effort to skip the cake though...too much cake eating here!

THURSDAY:  Thursday's are another office day in the Centre for me.  We have just started back to teaching our extra curricular Art Class at Park School on Thursday afternoons.  This is been changed to a two hour class and we only had one kid on the first day!  We are hoping the attendance will increase over the next few weeks.  Thursday nights I have a few friends over for Small Group.  I cook us dinner and we have a time of fellowship and then time to chat about the book we are reading and pray for each other.  I really enjoy this time!

FRIDAY:  Friday morning back to the early bus and off to Havant for a day at J Source.  J Source is Portsdown Community Church's Bookshop and it is located in the Meridian Centre Mall next to the church.  It is run solely by volunteers.  I have the privilege of working the day with two lovely retired folks, Geoff and Heather.  Geoff attends a local parish in Havant (a gorgeous old church) and Heather a Baptist church in her town of Emsworth.  Heather was a deaconess with the baptist church and did church planting in Australia.  They are both quite interesting and I enjoy getting to know them.  When I arrive in, I get the shoppe set up (after I grab a coffee!) and open for the day.  I have been able to learn all the ropes and enjoy interacting with the customers.

Every other Friday night we have River Jules at PCC which is kids church.  We have started a new series on prayer.  During River Jules we have snack, worship and dancing, time of teaching/sharing, and do art and craft projects.

SATURDAY: Free day!
SUNDAY: Church at PCC!  We have had some amazing services over these weeks.  I look forward to going to church and fellowshippingHayling Island in the sea.  It was such a beautiful time!  A bit chilly but we picnicked and celebrated together. 

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading your update, Erika! Sounds like you have lots of variety in your week and are meeting many interesting people. Keeping those cooking skills up to date, too, I see! Blessings to you!

    Love, Lu

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts