Let the Journey Begin!

So after two years of thinking, praying, and searching; I am all set to venture to the "mother land", England.  Ever since I can remember, I have had a heart for missions work.  The only non-domestic trip I have taken was to Mexico in high school.  Our group went into a barrio and lead a Vacation Bible School for the local kids.  I think that experience flipped a switch in me; growing passion in my heart to serve the needy, understand other cultures, and play with kids! 

Over the years I have explored many career and educational paths.  I have spent a lot of time developing my passions but kept feeling a pull to step out into some overseas missions.  Most missionaries seem to have a strong interest in one specific country or type of service and since I couldn't define that, I didn't see a clear path for me.

After getting to know my friend Laura Bookout Matias, who serves with YWAM in Brazil, I started to explore opportunities to serve with YWAM.  Laura's job with the kids in the slums of Belo Horizonte inspired me and pulled at my heart strings.  Through some research I found the Notting Hill YWAM base in London England and began dialog with some of their local missionary staff.  This felt like a good fit for me and I applied, visited the base, and was accepted to their Fall 2010 Discipleship Training School; the prerequisite course for all of their various service positions.

The Discipleship Training is a course consisting of 3 months of training, bible study, and local outreach followed by two months of service in another country.  This short-term mission service will give me a "taste" of what overseas service is like and prepare me to step into one of YWAM's many opportunities all over the world, if I choose. 
With UK VISA in hand, I am set to hop the pond in October and take on my DTS.  I will be living in community (which I never thought I would do again!) with a whole bunch of other folks from all over the world.  I am not sure what all to expect but am trusting God to take me through each step and teach me a lot of new things!  I am ready for the challenge!

Now to get to my packing...5 months worth of stuff in two bags!!  (ugh!  I hate to pack!)  Getting set to deal with the space limitations is my first hurdle...I might need some prayer on this one!

Comments

Popular Posts