Thanksgiving in London

This past week was jammed packed.  It seems every week feels like a whirlwind when it is over!  A few of the highlights...our guest speakers this week were a wonderful couple, Markus and Diana Buser, the directors of a YWAM base in Columbia.  We also went out to Earl's Court for the "coffee house" time.  This time, I decided to stay in the "upper room" with part of the team to pray for the visitors.  The Lord showed me and my prayer partner Tom many interesting specifics to intercede for the people.  It was eventful, as always, because my "friend" Carl managed to find me up in the room and came by to say hello and share a joke (which amounted to the fact that he met a dinosaur who told him about me...I think this implies I am very old!)  He seemed a bit disappointed that I was not coming down for dinner but I think he managed to find plenty of folks to fellowship with!  Thursday was the National Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women (try saying that 6 times fast!) so we did a special time of evangelism at the clock tower in our neighborhood.  We had some of the BLS on slits to draw attention, had live statues displaying women who have been abused, and the rest of us were passing out info and talking to the passer byers.  It was super intense and wicked cold!!  I talked to a lot of people and was able to pray with one lady. 

Thursday night was quite a treat!  I met up with a couple from my church, Ginger and Danny Jacques for Thanksgiving dinner! (Thanks again Danny and Ging!)  It was so nice to catch up with them and hear about home...just to see their faces was really nice.

Danny, Ginger and I having our celebratory dinner.

Pasta with shellfish galore!  Now that is a Thanksgiving meal!  YUM!

Ginger and I having "dessert" at Starbucks on Oxford Street.
Friday rolled around and it was time to start prepping for our Love Feast.  We planned a Thanksgiving celebration and I was in charge of pecan pies! Bad news is I burnt them and some of the substitutions came out strange. The good news is, they still tasted pretty good and people who don't live in the South (which is most of my group) didn't know what to expect anyhow!


Andrea, from Germany, was in charge of decoration and she and I worked to make it beautiful and harvesty!  All of the "non-American" folks were so excited about our feast!  The turkey was prepared by Josmar (Puerto Rico) and was soooo delish!  It was very moist-she stuffed it with oranges.  We all had a great time and I made sure that we covered the FACT that the first Thanksgiving occurred in Virginia-don't want to miseducate these folks. 

The girls found a fun napkin folding technique online and we make "Turkey's" (really birds of paradise).

My plate...everything turned out really good!


Tara (TN), Marta (Portugal) and Lisa (Sweden) repping the Red, White and Blue!


Everyone enjoyed celebrating our American tradition!
So, it was a long week but a nice one and even though I missed my family at home, I was able to celebrate with my new family here!  Happy Turkey Day and God Save the Queen!

Comments

Popular Posts