Busy Bee

It has been three months now since I arrived back on UK soil to dig in to my new life (sorry, just can't resist a good pun!).  I can't believe all the things that are happening here in Havant...life is definately not boring here!  I am slowly developing a new routine but have quickly fit back into the life of my PCC family.  I am so pleased to be so well loved and looked after and enjoying spending time catching up with all my friends here.

My work week is split between the church and community centre.  I bus over to Wecock on Tuesday's and Wednesday's to join Ann and the team at the Acorn Centre.  The staff is quite a bit larger than it was a few years ago when I was here and there are lots of projects in the works.  I have brainstormed with John, who heads up the Billy's Lake and outdoor education programs about starting up Bushcraft Workshops.  There are some excting ideas for this which would include a scout type program for the community to teach the young people wildlife surival techniques while helping to build their confidence.  Some of the young people have started a few enterprises one being upcycling chairs.  They paint them and plan to try to sell them.  They have made some creative pieces through an art grant program and we all got to go over to Portsmouth to hang out with the Mayor and showcase their wares along with other young people in the area.  They actually made their first two sales at the event!  We have been developing some marketing strategies and a plan to get their business up and running.



Tuesday night we have Journey's, which is our church sponsored small group at the Acorn Centre.  We have a lovely group of folks who come out regularly and we have had some really great nights together learning new things about what it means to be a Christian.  We eat together most weeks and I am slowly perfecting the art of cooking mass quanitites of rice or pasta on a very not-so-great stove at the Centre!  Ann amazes me at how proficient she is at whipping up affordable dishes to serve a crowd and never fails to get loads of unexpected veg in them!


Thursday's and Friday's I am at the church.  I work with a lovely young lady from the local college in our coffee shop for a few hours on Thursday mornings.  We have a good group of regulars who come in for a drink and sometimes a bit of cake.  We also greet folks coming in to pick up from the church food bank.  We are able to give free coffee or tea out to these folks thanks to the customers who generously buy an extra when they are in.  We have a few customers who do this regularly which is their way of contributing to our ministry.  The rest of the time at the church is spent doing administrative work.  We have also just started opening the cafe every other Saturday, which I manage, and are serving some sandwiches in the hopes of expanding our business.

I also had the great honor of helping out with a wedding at the church in March.  The brides family are wonderful folks and I so enjoyed getting to spend time with all of them and catching up with loads of the extended church family who came in for the day.  It was amazing how much love went into pulling the day together and all of the folks who volunteered to help make it special.

Needless to say, I am keeping busy!  There are lots of things on the horizon and God is stretching me daily.  I am looking forward to new adventures soon...and in the meanwhile, enjoying the spring weather!





Comments

Popular Posts