Traveling To and Fro and To and Fro...The Unexpected Journey

February 5th marked the big day to (finally) travel over the pond and start my new life in England.  The last few months at home were surprising as Dad ended up in the hosiptal and was diagnosed with ALS.  Mom and I spent my last few weeks stateside, busily trying to work out what needed to be done to keep him comfortable and get him settled in to what we thought may be his new normal.  It was all a bit uncertain and seemed to be progressing rapidly and changing daily.  My sister Nicole, came to take me off to DC to fly out and I spent that last day at home feeling a bit torn.  The hosipice nurse arrived to give a run-down of all they would be able to provide and I felt a bit of peace knowing they would be well looked after.  Dad and I shared some nice moments, had a cuddle and said our goodbyes.  It felt hard to leave but I so knew I was doing what God had planned and was being sent off lovingly with blessings all around.

I arrived in England via a brief pit-stop in Iceland, exhausted but excited to take on the new challenges head on- which clearly demanded a tea and scone in my favorite spot, for starters!  Saturday I ran out on a few errands and had a nice Chinese with my new housemate, just settling in, when my sister messaged me to Skype and my mom told me Dad had passed away, peacefully in his sleep, that afternoon.  It was a bit of a shock but over the next day or so, the community here provided such love, support and encouraging words.  And then I threw a few bits in a (very large) suitcase, and hopped a flight back to the US.

A week later Mom took me to Richmond for my second send off.  Still a bit bittersweet but with a confident heart that I was still doing exactly what God has for me at this time in exactly the right time, and again, covered in blessing to go.  How amazing that I got two very special and loving send-offs!

I arrived back into London on Monday the 16th and was met with loving hugs from my PCC family and carried off again for a tea, and a sandwich this time, at my favorite place!  Arrival, take two!

Today, as I reflect on the last two weeks of madness, it all seems a bit of a blur.  I have had adventures navigating the bus from my new neighborhood, lots of fun moments of chatting with old friends, a long day catching up with all the daily goings on at the Acorn Centre, two days learning some new duties at the church, lots of talks with my new housemate, cooked a few batches of pancakes for friends, endless mugs of coffee and tea, and lots of laughs as I re-learn "how to be English".  Somehow in the midst of all that, I also had a very nice few days with family sharing memories and celebrating the life of my Dad.

I feel super blessed that since I was with my parents over these past few months of preparation, I had some really amazing moments with Dad that I will forever cherish.  I also rejoice in the knowledge that in this next year of
service here in Havant, I will create many more moments that will also stay with me for a lifetime, and change me in more ways than I can imagine.

Me and Dad on the Britannia on our UK holiday in 2010.
One of the first of MANY selfies Dad submitted to...
and one of the few where he isn't making a silly face!

Comments

Popular Posts