Blessings Through the Storm

Recently, our area has been affected by several tornadoes which is super unusual for the East Coast.  I can remember being small and having tornado warnings on the news.  I was so scared since our house was surrounded with trees and huddled in our stairwell thinking I would be safe from shattering windows or falling branches.  Even though we lived through a few rough hurricanes and one bad ice storm, we never saw a tornado.  Mom reassured that you only had to deal with them living in Kansas or somewhere out in the Midwest-somewhere I never intended to find myself. 

A few weeks ago, I was in Philly having a reunion of sorts with half of my roommates from my stint in the Jesuit Volunteer Corps.  On Saturday we were inundated with rain.  I of course had the wrong shoes (I soaked my poor Toms!) and no umbrella walking all over the city in the storm.  We ran about and giggled at how we were looking like a couple of wet rats, browsing through the high end stores on Walnut Street.  In the evening, we sat in the hotel bar to chat and watched the torrential rain that was preventing our journeying out.

I had no idea that back at home in VA and NC my friends and family were having a completely different and unexpected experience.  I received a call from Mom explaining that tornadoes had hit our home town of Gloucester and hit my second cousin Josh's house right in the middle of his son's first birthday party.  I would like to share with you a beautifully written letter from my Aunt, sharing a bit about this experience.

On April 16, 2011, the Gwyn family and friends were celebrating Ezra Allen Gwyn's 1st Birthday.  We had gathered in the garage because of the damp, wet weather.  As Ezra had enjoyed his first birthday cake & was about to open his gifts, the tornado make it's uninvited presence known.
We all (15) hit the floor & waited as the howling winds & trees did their damage.  As we emerged to see just what had happened, we praised Got that we were all safe without injury or scratch.  The the miracles begin. 
I'll try to remember all the love we felt, all the hugs, words of encouragement, food, clothes, water, power saws busily at work, all through the day Sunday.  My children, other family members, friends and others we didn't know; those who had hearts as big as an ocean, began to show up.  The phone rang & rang..."What do you need? 'What can we do?" People came, crawling over trees; houses that had been flattened & looked like a pile ready for a bon fire, cars smashed and ready for the junk yard.
many came, those I didn't know, I could see the caring and love in their eyes as they worked to free us.  As the week passed it began to grow.  As people all over this country & beyond read the newspapers, watched the channel 10 news report, heard the stories,; they put their caring into action.
My great-grand children's school, TC Walker, brought gift cards.  Gifts for the children, who's Easter weekend may no happen-they made sure they all had the Easter gifts all children look forward to.  Newington Baptist Church members came to clean up, cut down, and pick up.  John Gordan and staff, from Chick-fil-a, sent supper twice.  Melanie, a waitress, sent a gift.  Project Rebound, brought boxes of food & cleaning products.  Providence Baptist Church brought hot meals into the neighborhood.  Gloucester Church of God called, "We want to help!  We have diapers, clothes, shoes, food...we want to help!"
Family & friends from out of state; Arizona, Florida, Delaware, called "What can we do?  We can send our prayers, but we want to do something more."  The insurance company came to help expedite the process.  Cars & homes needed to be provided, quickly.  I know I haven't remembered everyone...please forgive me.  My life & mind are still in a storm.
To all those who opened their hearts, arms, and wallets, we pray God's special blessings on you each.  We thank you will all our hearts.  I surely don't wish you to experience anything like this, but if you do face such a time in your life, we will be there.  We will ask, "What can I do? How can I help?"  First, bow your head, ask God what he would have you do, even if you don't know God...He still hears you and answers your prayers.

I was so touched by her letter and thoughts.  I love my Aunt Pat and what an amazing woman of God she is.  She is a gorgeously exemplifies, grace, long-suffering, mercy, and generosity everyday.  I am so glad that she was able to reap a bit back from all the love and caring she has shown others.  We are all grateful that even with all the damage and amidst the ruin, not one of our family and their friends were harmed. We thank God for His protection and huge blessings!

Comments

Popular Posts